Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Location, location, location.

Although I am still getting used to much of the transition and there are a lot of things that are not quite so fun (early morning wake up, necessity of adult clothes, new distance component to the relationship, missing community, etc.), north Dallas is certainly not one of them.

I absolutely love living in a real city again-- or perhaps for the first time since Blue Springs is ultra suburban. It's a good place to live [and a good song to sing]. On my way to work alone, I pass two Boston Markets. TWO! Not only is there Boston Market here, but there's one right across the street from Wilshire. I know, that's probably not that exciting to anyone else out there, but I'm going there for lunch today so I'm super hyped.

I even don't really mind my 25 or so minute commute. I don't mind because it reminds me how great this city is. I keep passing things and making mental notes to go there on my day off or after work. Tomorrow is my first free day and after I get my car inspected (boo, adulthood.) I am going to a half price book store with a built in cafe. So, although I get annoyed at the 3 unavoidable school zones-- more if I want to take the route with less traffic and if there's anything that these Dallas drivers take seriously, it's school zones. 20 mph all the way, baby-- and numerous multi-minute stoplights that add a good ten minutes to the drive that REALLY should only be 15 and would be 15 in a smaller city, I secretly enjoy the chance to sing music loudly and get acquainted with my new surroundings.

Also, the roads here are a grid-- even I can't get lost. Only day two and I no longer needed a GPS to get to work. Boo-yah.

So following through with one of my new life resolutions, non-starbucks coffee shop number one was Saxby's.



Although I liked the atmosphere (or really, the three people sitting in there not speaking English), the chai was mediocre. :( So, sorry Saxby's but good chai is a must. I might be willing to go back and try an espresso drink, but we'll see. Luckily, my date with myself was saved by this:




This book is so great. If you don't have it yet you need to get it or borrow it and read it ASAP. Of course, Tina Fey is kind of my idol so I'm a little biased. But it's a great laugh and good things to think about.

So far, so good. Points thus far for urbanity and comediennes. Oh! And Boston Market. :)

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment