Friday, July 8, 2011

Pacifism and Safety

Long story short, living alone in a big house has got me thinking about safety. Is there a way to protect myself while maintaining my commitment to non-violence?

I suppose I should back up. Last weekend I heard what sounded like someone trying to get in my backdoor twice. After calling the police and having a mild panic attack, Scott talked me down and a very big (and nice) officer came and checked out my backyard. There was nothing there and the officer also drove around the block a couple times so I felt safe enough to go to bed.

Now, I know that I did the right thing, calling the police and having them come make sure everything was ok. But I had been in kind of a terrible position. I didn't really have anything to protect myself-- not even a baseball bat. The officer said I should consider getting a gun-- but I don't really believe in guns and as my mother said, "Unless you also plan on getting shooting lessons you have no business owning something you don't know how to use."

Very well put.

Further, I don't know that I could ever point a gun at someone-- even if my life was in danger. Call me stupid, but don't forget that it takes me a good 15 minutes to squash a bug. (That happened to me AGAIN, btw. I really need to grow a pair.) So even if the gun wasn't loaded, I don't think I could be intimidating pointing an empty gun at someone anyway.

So until then, I ordered pepper spray and I am always sure to lock all of my deadbolts. Also, I'm considering finding a place to take Krav Maga lessons. It's always been my dad's preferred method of self defense, and I heard it did wonders for J-Lo's bottom when she was preparing for her role in Enough. I call that a win-win.

But even in my rejection of guns, I can't help but wonder-- can a pacifist really embrace pepper spray and martial arts? Is it enough to settle for only non-lethal methods of self-defense?

I can't help but think of the words of Jesus, "Those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will save it." (Luke 9:24 NRSV)

Now, because my mother reads this, I'm putting up a disclaimer now. If someone breaks into my house, I'm going to pepper spray them and call the police-- and figure out the theological implications of my decision later.

And ultimately, my life is always in God's hands and every breath I take is by his grace. So above all, I trust him with my safety.

But, just because I trust God to give me my daily bread doesn't mean I'm quitting my job and saying, "I don't need a paycheck, God will take care of me." And just because I trust God to protect me doesn't mean I'm going to leave all my doors unlocked and put a sign out front that says, "I live alone, break in at will!"

So where do I come out in the end? Unsure. But ready with some pepper spray, prayer, a cell phone... and possibly a new work out regimen.

So what should a Christian think about self defense? Where is the balance between practical and faithful? Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment