Monday, July 18, 2011

Harry Potter and the Identity of Christ

I have been looking forward to writing this post for quite a while now, but I wanted to wait until I saw the last movie to gather my thoughts. Fair warning, I will try to avoid spoilers, but no promises. So, sorry in advance if you haven't read/seen the end yet, this post is all about the end of the series.

Ironically, the Harry Potter series has helped me come to a better understanding of something that has always been hard for me to come to terms with-- namely, the humanity of Christ. It is easy for me to understand that Jesus is God, that he should be worshipped, that he has been exalted to the right hand of the Father, etc. That's probably why John is my favorite gospel, its Christology is the highest (and it tells the best stories!). I really didn't even realize this was a problem until I took life of Christ my junior year at OBU. But it turns out that although I would have of course affirmed that Jesus was both 100% man and 100% God, I didn't really have any conception of what that actually meant.

So how has Harry Potter helped? It's actually easier for me to see in the movies-- partially because they simplified some of the stubbornness of his character-- but Harry's struggle with his identity and what he must do for the good of the wizarding world seems to have some definite parallels to the way Jesus must have wrestled with his identity.

When Harry was a baby, it was prophesied that he would be the chosen one, that his identity and destiny were intimately tied up with that of Voldemort-- and thus, the fate of his entire world. As he learns more and more what this means, he finally comes to the point where he must choose to die in order (basically) to save the world. He must lay down his life willingly and for those whom he loves. In the movie, I watched him struggle with this new revelation in a way that reminded me particularly of Gethsemane. Thinking, "I don't really want to do this, I'm terrified, but I must."

Of course, the parallel isn't perfect. Although Harry and Jesus both make their sacrifice out of love, I think obedience to God is an important part of Jesus decision which does not really occur in the Harry Potter series. There is not a divine figure in the series, and although Dumbledore comes closer than anyone else, Harry is not sitting on the steps of Hogwarts thinking, "Not my will, but yours." There is a sort of obedience component to Harry's actions since Dumbledore is the one who told him what would be necessary, but it's not as if Harry's sacrifice was a plan that Dumbledore had up his sleeve the whole time. Rather, circumstances more than anything dictates the choice which Harry must make.

So although Jesus' quest for his own identity was probably not quite as messy as Harry's (and he had the Holy Spirit to help him figure it out), I do think that at times I forget that dying on the cross was an actual terrifying decision that Christ had to make in order to be obedient to that which God had called him to be. Of course, now would be a good time to include my favorite cinematic rendition of this moment. It comes from The Miracle Maker-- yes! Claymation Jesus! This scene is actually cartoon because whenever something is happening in Jesus' head (for lack of better term), like the temptation etc., they do it in drawn-animation instead of claymation (which is, of course, one of the most brilliant aspects of the film to me). Also, ironically, Ralph Fiennes (Voldemort) plays Jesus. Video won't let me embed, so find it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFxE6-uPrM0

I should say, it's not as if Jesus was just some Joe Blow who became the savior of the world. From his infancy, random people would pick up the baby Jesus and talk about the Lamb of God. Probably his talk about the bird and the bees with Mary was interesting to say the least. For sure, he and John the Baptist both had it figured out by his baptism when God reaffirmed it, and I'm assuming he knew something by the time he's blowing rabbis' minds in the temple at age 12.

But as a human, Jesus wrestled with his call just like the rest of us. He constantly sought time with his Father in order to do his ministry and he did everything he did by the work of the Holy Spirit. And at least once, he sat in a garden and said, "Are you sure God? This is the way?"

It should be noted, the struggle is real. It is not sinful-- it is even expected! But at the end each of us must follow our savior's example and come to the conclusion, "Not my will, but yours be done," at which point we pick up our crosses and follow him.

Sometimes, I forget that. But Harry Potter reminded me. That's all I'm trying to say.

Oh, if you'd like someone who disagrees with me totally, you can find it here. I think he misreads Harry's return and that he comes back because of the greater magical power of love, but whatever. Just a little something to spice up the discussion.

All truth is God's truth.
Here's to using my baccalaureate education to the best of my ability.
Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment