Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Power of Presence

"Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God." Luke 6:20

Since I haven't shared a story from Jamaica yet, and it's been a slow week at the office, I would like to write up the craziest thing that happened to me on my most recent excursion to that magically green island.

The Clarendon infirmary is a government run facility in Maypen, Jamaica which cares for the mentally and physically handicapped. Although I have only been to the infirmary four times, I know that place has changed my life in very tangible ways.

Not only is the infirmary different from any other place I've ever been-- it's probably different from any place in America. When you first get out of the safety of the van, the first thing you will notice is the smell. Understaffed and poorly supplied, there is little hope of even keeping the patients clean-- let alone keeping the flies away. Once you adjust to the smell, you look around and take in the seeming hopelessness of people who have nothing. Bodies have betrayed those who live in the infirmary in ways that most acquainted with western medicine never imagined possible.

The first time I went to the infirmary in 2006, I was a 17 year old on a team of adults. So when I met Karen, possibly the most able person at the infirmary, and found out that we were the same age, I couldn't be pulled away. I spent my whole time there with Karen, listening to her talk about how much she loved helping the nurses take care of her fellow residents. I sat there with my whole life ahead of me-- she had been in the same place she lived now since she was five years old with little hope of change. Meeting Karen really changed me.

Scott, Karen, and Me in 2006

So when I came back in 2008, Karen was the person I looked forward to seeing again the most. Again, I spent my whole time with her.  When I asked Karen if she remembered me, she said yes-- but I was unsure if that was true. But then she asked me if Scott was with me again. I was so humbled and amazed in that moment. One of my teammates brought a polaroid camera-- so I left her with a small instant picture.

I didn't get a chance to go back to Jamaica again until a few weeks ago. It was now almost 5 years since I met Karen and 3 and a half since the last time I saw her. When the entire team went to the infirmary I did not see her but spent my time with a couple of the other residents without much thought. Luckily, I got another chance to go to the infirmary, this time for a full day. 

I was back with the residents I had spent time with just two days earlier and was headed to grab some lotion out of the office where we had put our stuff. As I was walking down one of my students said, "Hey, Veronica-- someone is looking for you!" I thought it had to be a mistake, I had just been with the only people who I had seen that week. But Courtney was insistent, "Get over here!"

When I walked over, there was Karen. Apparently, Courtney had asked her if she remembered her, to which Karen replied, "Are you Veronica?" Courtney said no, but told her that I was there. Karen said, "Veronica is here? Will you go get her?" Courtney, thinking that I had seen her just last Tuesday thought nothing of it.

When I went with Karen to her bed, she showed me the polaroid picture from 3 years ago that she kept on her nightstand. I asked, "How did you know I would be here?" She said simply, "I didn't."

The truth is this-- taking the time to love someone will change their life. Never underestimate the impact God allows you to have. I had only spent about two hours with this girl, but she remembered me as her friend-- and even asked for me more than 3 years later! 

Iron sharpens iron,   and one man sharpens another.
Proverbs 27:17

Knowing Karen changed my life. Little did I know that I was changing her life as well. There is unbelievable power in simply being present. Giving value to those whom the world overlooks is an act with eternal value. Let us not forget.

Here's to serving a God who blows my mind without a second thought.
Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment