Monday, June 20, 2011

Living Alone

This post will concern lessons I've garnered thus far in my first real adult experience.

My host left for Colorado last Friday in order to explore the peace of the mountains for 6 weeks. This, of course, leaves me with a whole house to myself and freedom from most responsibilities.

There are some definite bonuses to being roommate-less. I can listen to whatever music I want to while I get ready, I do everything on my own schedule, I never have to worry about being interrupted or being rude. I always get the remote and if I want quiet it's mine. Above all, there's no one to judge me when I decide to get a pizza and watch "Dating in the Dark" reruns (guilty!).

While I am enjoying all of this freedom, today I hit my first drawback. I can deal with the loneliness and I have enough deadbolts to make me feel safe.

But this morning, there was a giant beetle in my shower and it took me a good 15 minutes to kill it.

GIANT. BEETLE. DISGUSTING.

It may sound stupid, but that's my real life. I don't want to kill bugs; I just don't want them to touch me. And that desire is so strong it really takes a lot for me to get close enough to squish it. I even prayed for courage, but then I felt ridiculous praying for help killing something. Call me a gentle soul-- or something like that.

Well, 15 minutes and a plaid ked later, the bug was taken care of and I got in the shower. Bugs be warned. But I really hope that whoever I live with next is more capable than I am. Of course, I probably should've figured out that this was not going to be my strong suit when I was rendered completely incapable by the cockroaches we found in our room the last day in Jamaica. There's something about insects that turn me into approximately a seven year old girl thinking nothing but, "Oh my goodness someone make this safe again IamnotmovingfromthisspotuntilthatthingisGONE!!"

Well, adventures in adulthood. We all have to grow up some time.
Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment